Indications You Might Have Bigger Concerns After A Fire In Your Burlington Home
Signs You Might Have Bigger Issues Than Fire Damage in Your Burlington Home
When a home has fire damage, it leaves behind many issues beyond charring and smoke; numerous hazards have the potential to crop up due to inadequate cleaning.
Sometimes when SERVPRO assists Burlington homeowners with fire damage cleanup and restoration, it is not uncommon for technicians to find signs of previous cleaning efforts. This presents significant challenges for restoring the home because incorrect cleaning methods cause more harm to surfaces and finishes.
DIY Fire Cleanup May Cost You
To save money or time, homeowners frequently attempt the cleanup of smoke residues on their own. This is often a mistake; for example, using liquid cleaners on dry smoke residues drives it deeper into surfaces. Scrubbing thick, oily residues leaves damage on the surface and pushes the soot into cracks, rendering it more challenging to remove. Signs of improper cleanup are smears and staining on surfaces and a smoke odor.
Signs of Inadequate Water Cleanup
Extinguishing a fire leaves behind copious amounts of water that requires removal. It migrates quickly under floors, behind baseboards and walls requiring drying. Leaving this moisture behind sets the home up for mold growth and foul odors. SERVPRO technicians use a diverse array of moisture detection equipment to ensure water is not overlooked.
Signs of Mold
Mold is always a danger after a fire loss in a home. Water wicked into sheetrock leaves it in a weakened state and creates a perfect environment for mold spore germination. It can start as fast as 24-hours and once established, mold colonies spread quickly. Technicians lower ambient humidity to unsustainable levels for mold existence, abate any colonies and follow up with the application of antimicrobial products.
Signs of Cross-Contamination
If the HVAC is running or traffic continues through the fire loss area in a home, odor-causing soot spreads throughout the house and requires cleaning. The tip-off is the smell of smoke in areas of the home without fire damage. SERVPRO technicians use containment and in some cases negative air chambers to stop cross-contamination during fire damage cleanup and restoration.
SERVPRO of Bristol is always ready to clean up and restore fire damage for local property owners. Our technicians are trained, certified, and available 24/7 at (860) 582-3330.
For more about Burlington click here.