Water Mitigation for Burlington Businesses
SERVPRO of Bristol Provides Commercial Water Mitigation Services
Water damage in businesses can get costly. An untreated faucet leak alone can emit a whopping 250 gallons of water per month, impacting upkeep costs significantly, especially for small business owners. Worse still, winters in Burlington put pipes at risk of freezing and bursting, creating even more costly repair and replacement needs.
SERVPRO can begin water mitigation for Burlington commercial properties within hours of initial franchise contact. This firm is staffed with the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)-certified technicians that use industrial-grade tools and OSHA-approved antimicrobial solutions to prepare spaces for repairs.
Pipe Burst at the Burlington Library and Elsewhere
In early January of 2018, the Burlington Public Library endured damages resulting from a frozen sprinkler pipe that burst in the children’s section of the facility. The pipe was successfully repaired, and the surrounding area was restored. However, the building required several days of closure to perform repairs. A total of 78 books were damaged, and the library backdated returns to avoid accidental late fees.
According to a study of over 400 burst pipe insurance claims by Philadelphia Insurance Companies:
- Sprinkler pipes caused-51% of claims studied
- Sprinkler-related claims were 33% more expensive than domestic pipe failures on average
- Average losses caused by frozen pipes were approximately $27,000, with the most costly claim in the survey generating a whopping $1.7 million in damages
- Damage is more costly for sprinkler failures that occur in multi-story structures, particularly residential facilities and properties that require specialized equipment maintenance and sterile conditions
- The older a building is, the more likely it is to need code updates that can lower the risk of frozen pipes bursting
Tactics businesses can take to safeguard against potential losses include cost-effective measures like:
- Installing leak sensors
- Implementing flow detection and shutoff systems
- Improving heating and insulation on the property, especially in cold and drafty areas
It is imperative for businesses to ensure that their buildings are up to code to avoid costly disasters as much as possible.
How Does SERVPRO Clean Furniture and Fixtures Affected by Burst Pipes?
SERVPRO implements commercial water mitigation with the help of a variety of tools and techniques. A frozen pipe bursting in a restaurant kitchen, for example, can require the following:
- Inspection of floor tiles for signs of damage to the grout
- Extensive water extraction to prepare the damaged area for drying
- Sanitation of surfaces with EPA-registered biocides, including SERVPRO’s proprietary solutions
- Removal of cabinet toe-kicks and wall baseboards for structural drying
Drying commences with the help of centrifugal air movers positioned at 45-degree angles in relation to walls every 10 to 16 linear feet. These devices act in tandem with commercial-grade dehumidifiers to remove moisture from surfaces, pull it into the air, pass that air across refrigerant coils or desiccant materials, and expel dry air that returns humidity to normal levels. Moisture is isolated as condensation and collected for disposal in a treated sewer.
SERVPRO of Bristol can be reached at (860) 582-3330 for commercial water mitigation services.